Year 11 Food and Nutrition - Topical Nutrition Trends
Teacher in Charge: L. Valli
This course is designed for students who want to keep up with current nutrition trends and develop their practical skills.
In this course students will learn about:
- key nutrients involved in beauty nutrition (how diet can impact your skin, nail and hair health etc.)
- food science and digestion (how food is digested and nutrients are absorbed and used in the body)
- the influence of pop culture on dietary trends and fad diets (how celebrities can influence people to buy products or follow diets which are not recommended)
- nutrients - where to from here? Discovering sustainable nutrient alternatives (eating insects, low meat diets)
- develop lifelong practical skills including knife skills, cooking techniques and food safety
Students need to be able to handle a variety of foods, and the course is not suitable for students with severe food allergies.
Year 11 classes have 2 practical classes per timetable cycle.
Contributions and Equipment
Specific requirements for this class are:
Students may wish to bring in additional or specialised ingredients.
Fully covered shoes are compulsory for all practical classes.
All students need: pens, pencils, ruler, eraser, glue stick, highlighters, coloured pencils, scissors.
1 2B8 exercise book
Recommended Prior Learning
Dietitian, Nutritionist, Food Technology, Food Science, New product design, Food Engineering, Quality Assurance, Food Critic, Food Stylist, Cake Decorator, Product Promotion, Hospitality, Chef, Baker, Bar Manager, Bar Tender, Front of House, Caterer, Housekeeper, Cafe Manager, Hotel/ Motel Receptionist, Barista.,