Year 12 English for Speakers of Other Languages
Teacher in Charge: J. Steele
This is an English course for students who speak English as an additional language. It covers reading, writing, listening and speaking. The aim is to improve English language skills for everyday life and to develop academic language skills to help achievement in other learning areas. It will support the students in other school subjects and prepare them for further study.
• Speaking: Conversational skills; giving opinions; taking part in discussions; pronunciation practice; negotiating meaning
• Listening: Listening to recordings; interacting with other students
• Reading: Different genres from a wide variety of sources
• Skimming, scanning and making inferences
• Finding main ideas and retrieving specific information
• Writing: Practice with different types of tests for different purposes
• Organising texts into coherent paragraphs
• Developing main ideas
Contributions and Equipment
2 2B5 excercise books
Recommended Prior Learning
Students should at least be working at Level 2 to 3 of the ELLP Matrix, which is at intermediate level. They should have competent conversational English and a sound understanding of basic grammatical structures.
Total Credits Available: 25 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 25 credits.