Year 12 Food and Nutrition
Teacher in Charge: L. Valli
This course covers an in depth study of nutrition and is aimed at students who are are wanting to follow a possible career in areas such as nutrition, dietetics, nursing, sport or health related courses. It is also aimed at students who are passionate about nutrition and who want to enhance their knowledge about food, nutrients and the influence that it has on our lives.
Students will cover a range of relevant and interesting topics for their assessments:
- Students will analyse beliefs, attitudes and practices related to the nutritional issue of obesity for families in New Zealand.
- Students will evaluate sustainable food related practices such as growing vegetable gardens, buying local food, food preserving etc.
- Students will analyse issues related to the provision of food for people with specific food needs such as sports nutrition, maternal nutrition, veganism etc.
- Students will analyse the relationship between well-being, food choices and determinants of health.
Skills that students will develop:
- Planning and carrying out an investigation
- Research and report writing
- Team work
- Communication skills
- Self directed study
- Preparing healthy nutritional meals using seasonal produce
- Practical cookery skills
Year 12 classes have 2 practical classes per timetable.
Students need to be able to handle a variety of foods, and the course is NOT suitable for students with severe food allergies.
Contributions and Equipment
Specific requirements for this class are:
1x 1B8 exercise book
Students have the option of bringing in additional or specialised ingredients
Fully covered shoes are compulsory for all practical classes.
Recommended Prior Learning
Open entry, however Level one literacy is an advantage.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Dietitian, Nutritionist, Food Technology, Food Science, New product design, Food Engineering, Quality Assurance, Food Critic, Food Stylist, Cake Decorator, Product Promotion, Hospitality, Chef, Baker, Bar Manager, Bar Tender, Front of House, Caterer, Housekeeper, Cafe Manager, Hotel/ Motel Receptionist, Barista, Nursing, Sportswoman.,