Year 13 Enterprise Business and Marketing
Teacher in Charge: J. Lang
What will I learn?
This course will contain two components:-
• Marketing will cover marketing concepts and consumer behaviour. Students will be involved in developing a marketing plan for a new product including market situation, target customer profiling and marketing strategies around the 7 P's.
• Enterprise Business: This involves the students developing a business plan and operating an innovative, sustainable business under the Young Enterprise Scheme. They manage the business, market and sell a product or service, solve problems, organise and monitor their finances. They will interact with the business community and mentors and compete for national and regional awards and prizes.
Creative and critical thinking, seeing and assessing opportunities, using initiative, taking the lead, working in a team, resolving conflict in a constructive manner, planning use of time, meeting deadlines, carrying through with responsibilities, communicating with other people visually, orally, and in writing, holding meetings, managing information, desktop publishing, practical production skills, market research skills, problem solving and decision-making skills, negotiation, calculating costs and prices, banking, basic cash book management, managing risk, project management, self promotion, personal confidence and networking.
Suits Students who:
- Are self motivated
- Enjoy responsibility and decision-making
- Want to learn new thinking skills
- Have a sense of creativity
- Want to develop business ownership skills
- Want to make sense of their learning
- Enjoy problem solving
- Are prepared to work cooperatively with others
- Love to challenge themselves
- Like to learn through discovery and experience
- Enjoy practical work
All students who complete YES will receive the YES micro-credential. The purpose of the micro-credential is to develop 21st century skills in New Zealand's rangatahi by providing an opportunity to set up and run a business in a real-world context.
These skills include: Problem solving, Networking, Teamwork, Working through failure, Agility, Communication and presentation skills, Time management, Planning, Leadership, and Creativity.
Contributions and Equipment
Specific requirements for this class are:
1 Set of Dividers
1 Clear File
1 A4 Lined Refill Pad
Also require a diary – may use electronic one
BYOD is very useful as we will be using Google classroom and resources are uploaded to the Google team drive. If a student does not have access to a Device we will endeavour to provide some access during class when necessary.
There is an expectation that students will contribute to the capital of their own business. This may be through individual contribution, fund raising or selling supporters' shares. The objective is that the company earns enough money to pay back this investment plus a profit to each student.
There is a cost to the Enterprise Trust of a Director's fee of $35.00 so students can receive the qualification.
Recommended Prior Learning
Nil. This is an approved subject which can be taken at Level 3, without having taken it previously.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Approved subject for University Entrance
Number of credits that can be used for overall endorsement: 19
This course is University approved and will allow you to meet the requirements for University Entrance.
Marketing Manager, Marketing Executive, Sales Manager, Banker, Market Researcher, Advertising, Sports Marketer, Events Manager, Teacher, Small Business Manager, Financial Analyst, Product Manager, Product Development, Human Resources Advisor, Recruitment Manager, Entrepreneur (in your own business), Journalist, Investment Banking, Retail Buying, Retail Management, Public Relations Officer, Bank Management, Distribution & Logistics Management, Insurance Underwriter, International Market Developer, Property Manager, Property Valuer, Property Developer, Insurance Underwriting, Market Researcher, Financial Advisor, Retailing, Sales, Accountant, Banking, Management, Government Departments, Economist, Analyst, Researcher, Marketing Manager, Marketing Executive, Sales Manager, Banker, Advertising, Sports Marketer, Game Developer, Information and Communication Technology Manager.,