Year 13 English for Speakers of Other Languages
Teacher in Charge: J. Steele
This is an English course for students who speak English as an additional language. It covers reading, writing, listening and speaking. This course is designed to prepare students for tertiary academic study. Students will be offered Level 3 or 4 EL Unit Standards.
Practice in the four modes of English
• Speaking: Conversational skills; giving opinions; taking part in discussions; pronunciation practice; negotiating meaning
• Writing: Practising different types of texts for different purposes
• Organising texts into coherent paragraphs
• Developing main ideas
• Reading: Different genres from a wide variety of sources
• Skimming, scanning, making inferences and finding the tone
• Finding main ideas and retrieving specific information
• Understanding essential vocabulary as well as academic vocabulary
• Listening: Listening to recordings; interacting with other students
Contributions and Equipment
2 2B5 excercise books
Recommended Prior Learning
Students should be working comfortably at Level 3 to 4 of the ELLP matrix, which is at a post intermediate level.
Total Credits Available: 20 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 20 credits.