|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Critical thinking- using logic, interpreting information to create understanding, identifying patterns and trends.
- Racism is a feature of American life- how did the slave trade affect later generations of Black Americans?
- Information literacy- identifying fact and opinion, making judgements about the quality of information, assessing the reliability of different sources of information such as websites.
- Why did individuals and groups fight to end racist laws and how successful were they?
- Communication skills- communicating effectively in a variety of formats: for example in small group and full class discussions; written work; visual formats.
- How did racist groups like the KKK try to resist such change?
- Why did the civil rights movement become more radical in the 70s? How much impact did people like Malcolm X have on American society?
- What issues did Maori face in the second half of the twentieth century?
- What are some similarities and differences between race relations in the USA and in NZ?