Level 2 Outdoor Education
Teacher in Charge:
In the Level 2 Outdoor Education course, students will develop their planning and technical skills across a range of outdoor pursuits. Students will explore leadership and key concepts of safety management through the planning and completion of a week-long trip focused in the central north island.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Safety management - identify and develop plans to manage risks and hazards that impact our physical and emotional safety in a range of outdoor contexts.
- Skills for Sea Kayaking: Investigate weather, equipment and technical skills for sea kayaking. Plan for and participate in an overnight sea kayak trip.
- Self management - develop strategies to manage self through challenging outdoor contexts. This includes, personal responsibility, organisation, setting goals, seeking knowledge and motivation.
- Bush survival skills: Gain knowledge around outdoor safety and Search and Rescue in NZ. Learn key skills and knowledge to successfully survive overnight in the outdoors.
- Leadership - participate as team leaders or effective team members in physical contexts, organise work to meet goals and allocate team roles.
- Peer Leadership: Investigate styles of leadership, group dynamics and team roles and participate in challenging team activities. Participate in a week-long mountain adventure to test leadership and group performance.
- Movement and technical skills in a range of contexts - demonstrate technical skills in sea kayaking, bush survival, surfing, rock climbing.
- Skills for Surfing: Performance in surfing skills over 2 days on the Tutukaka coast.
- Skills for Rock Climbing: Learn basic skills for rock climbing movement and performance.
Outdoor Education, Seniors
$200 school contribution cost to cover accommodation and travel expenses. (Voluntary)
1 Set of thermals. Talk to your teacher before purchasing
1 Pair of sturdy shoes - Talk to your teacher before purchasing
All specialist safety equipment will be provided for each activity