Level 2 Social Studies with Media Studies
Teacher in Charge:
In L2 Social Studies students will critically examine womens’ role in society both past and present, feminism and gender norms. This internal course focuses on what has influenced women’s place in society and develops students' writing skills in order to communicate their understanding. This course is suited to students who would like to learn about the world around them, past events that have shaped our gender norms, current social issues and how these ideas on gender are created and spread through the media.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Critical Thinking - to think critically about gender norms, the cause and implications. How we see this presented to us in the media and how this is filtered through into our everyday lives.
- Historical place of women and how it has influenced later society such as Adam and Eve, witchcraft and fertility idols.
- Collaboration - Students will be encouraged to work in groups and contribute to class discussions. Be mindful and respectful of all opinions.
- An in depth breakdown of the Waves of Feminism with an emphasis on the second and fourth waves, reproductive rights, birth control and equality.
- Communication Skills - to share your thoughts and listen to others. To continue to develop both your written and verbal communication skills.
- How women are represented in the media by examining music videos, advertising and social media. How these ideas are communicated to us and the implications of gender norms on our society.
- Theories in the media such as the male gaze, bechdel test, the beauty myth. Stereotypes and messages communicated through the media.
Seniors, Social Studies
1B8 exercise book, gluestick, pens