Level 2 Toi Māori
Teacher in Charge:
In Level 2 Toi Māori, students will gain an in depth understanding of the cultural significance of Māori art forms with Māori kaupapa, te reo, tikanga, and manaakitanga interwoven into the programme.
‘Kia whakatōmuri te haere ki mua’ to walk into the future our eyes must be fixed on the past.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Tikanga when working in a Toi Māori space and when using different taonga/materials. rakau/wood.
- Elements of Māori Art and design from a mātauranga māori perspective (traditions).
- Practical skills to be able to create works of art.
- Develop an awareness of how their work reflects and transmit Māori ideas.
- 2D - drawing, painting, digital media.
- How contemporary design expresses Māori ideas about the world.
- 3D - Upcycling wooden furniture, whakairo.
- Mural planning and painting.
- Identifying different whakarei with a focus on Ngāpuhi whakairo.
- Creating taonga from rakau/wood.
A4 Visual diary
Pencils (HB,2B,6B) erasers,
Fine pilot pens (black)