Level 3 Outdoor Education*
Teacher in Charge:
In the Level 3 Outdoor Education, students will design, plan and lead in a range of outdoor pursuits. The course is a combination of both practical and theory where students have the opportunity to be hands-on with planning, teaching, managing risk through all activities. The course will include; sea kayaking, tramping/navigation, cycling, rock climbing and leadership opportunities.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Critical thinking and Safety management - Challenge assumptions around safety in the outdoors, identify and develop plans to manage risks and hazards that impact our physical and emotional safety, analyse safety management plans in a range of outdoor contexts.
- Investigate safety management issues for sea kayaking and devise strategies. Plan for, participate in and evaluate participation in a multi-day sea kayaking expedition.
- Leadership and Planning - demonstrate leadership and effective team roles, planning and organising your own outdoor journeys, allocate team roles and develop a deeper understanding of styles of leadership to use for outdoor activities. Evaluate participation in trips.
- Examine contemporary leadership principles and apply them to physical activities. Learn skills for tramping and plan and lead a 4-day tramping experience.
- Self management - develop strategies to manage self through challenging outdoor contexts. Devise strategies to successfully meet outdoor activity goals. This includes, personal responsibility, organisation, setting goals, seeking knowledge and motivation.
- Explore place based responsiveness through the design and implementation of strategies to complete a challenging 2 day local hikoi. Modes of transport could include cycling, kayaking and walking.
- Movement and technical skills in a range of contexts - demonstrate technical skills in sea kayaking, tramping, cycling and rock climbing.
- Performance in skills for rock climbing.
Outdoor Education, Seniors
$100 school contribution cost to cover accommodation and travel expenses. (voluntary)
1 Set of thermals. Talk to your teacher before purchasing
1 Pair of sturdy shoes - Talk to your teacher before purchasing
All specialist safety equipment will be provided for each activity