Year 9 Te Ao Māori
Teacher in Charge:
In Te Ao Māori (Māori worldview), students will get an introduction into ‘Te Ao Māori’. They will learn basic protocol practices to get an understanding of Te Ao Māori. They will learn our school culture, karakia (recitations), waiata (songs) and some aspects/protocols of our school whare ‘Te Rau Aroha’.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Develop an understanding of who you are and where you come from, your identity.
- Tuakiritanga (identity) – Pepeha, a place students identify to. Whakapapa, learning about their genealogy. Tōku whānau, my family.
- Develop basic protocols of the pōwhiri (welcoming) process within our school.
- The creation of Rangi and Papa.
- Enhance your understanding by way of waiata (song) and karakia (recitation).
- Matariki and Puanga - The Māori new year.
- Develop their self confidence in Mana Wāhine (Leadership) roles.
2 x 1B5 exercise books