Year 10 Enterprise Business
Teacher in Charge: J. Lang
What will I learn?
This is a very interactive, student directed course where the teacher acts as facilitator and mentor and the students take responsibility for their own business. They learn how to add value to resources and understand that businesses face risks that must be managed to gain rewards.
Students will discover what it means to be enterprising and how to run a small venture
- Find the common skills and qualities that enterprising individuals have and learn how they can develop those skills.
- Learn how to add value to resources
- Understand that businesses face risks that must be managed to gain rewards.
- Have the exciting opportunity to use their own student business to learn the tools for success in:
This course develops a wide range of well valued qualities and competencies such as:
- Creative thinking
- Using initiative
- Market research skills
- Problem solving skills
- Managing risk
- Seeing and assessing opportunities
- Holding effective meetings
- Banking, basic cash book management
- Practical production skills
- Calculating costs and prices
- Communicating with other people visually, orally, and in writing
- Planning use of time
- Managing information
- Showing resilience
- Desktop publishing
Suits Students who:
- Are self motivated
- Enjoy responsibility and decision-making
- Have ideas and a sense of creativity
- Want to develop business ownership skills
- Want to make sense of their learning
- Are prepared to work cooperatively with others
- Love to challenge themselves
- Like to learn through discovery and experience
- Enjoy practical work
Contributions and Equipment
All students need: pens, pencils, ruler, eraser, glue stick, highlighters, coloured pencils, scissors for all classes
Specific requirements for this class are:
1B8 Exercise Book
There is an expectation that students will contribute to the capital of their own business. This may be through individual contribution or fund raising. This is generally about $10.00. The objective is that the business earns enough money to pay back this investment plus a profit to the student.
Students will be involved in field trips to local enterprises. These should be at no cost.
Recommended Prior Learning
Marketing Manager, Marketing Executive, Sales Manager, Banker, Market Researcher, Advertising, Sports Marketer, Events Manager, Teacher, Small Business Manager, Financial Analyst, Product Manager, Product Development, Human Resources Advisor, Recruitment Manager, Entrepreneur (in your own business), Journalist, Investment Banking, Retail Buying, Retail Management, Public Relations Officer, Bank Management, Distribution & Logistics Management, Insurance Underwriter, International Market Developer, Property Manager, Property Valuer, Property Developer, Insurance Underwriter,