Year 10 Classical Studies - Groovy Greeks and Rotten Romans
Teacher in Charge:
You might be wondering ‘what the heck is Classical Studies and why is it important to me’?
Classics is the study of antiquity, of the ancient world. In this course you will begin learning all about the Greeks and the Romans by studying their mythology, their crazy gods, and their society. This is a flexible course and many of the learning tasks are chosen by the students. Studying the ancient world helps us to better understand the world we live in today; after all our world was born from their world!
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Reading, viewing, discussing - thinking critically about the Ancient World and their lives.
- Mythology: this is the study of myths, or short stories that ancient people used to try and explain their world. You will learn about the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses and the weird, wonderful and unexpected mischief they all got up to.
- Interpersonal skills, technology use, systems thinking - you will be working in groups to produce a ‘day in the life of an Ancient Greek’ short video.
- Heroes: This course will introduce you to the interesting and exciting world of the ancient hero. The ancient hero is the ‘star’ of the Classical world. Although ancient heroes could be admired, they were far from perfect. In this course you will learn about their great feats of courage and skill, but also their tragedies.
- Applied academic skills and critical thinking - through the analysis of artefacts and remains.
- Daily life - Learn about the daily life of a typical Ancient Greek or Roman. Clothing, education, slavery and food - such as mice kebabs, a fast food favourite of the Ancient Romans, are all included.
- Pompeii: You will learn about the tragic events that surround the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79AD and the preservation of Pompeii. In this section of the course you will become a detective and learn the skills that will help you to look at and understand the relics left behind.
Year 10, Classical Studies
1B8 exercise book