Year 10 Food and Nutrition: Nutrition for Life
Teacher in Charge:
In Nutrition for Life students will be encouraged to extend their nutritional knowledge, read and understand food packaging to make informed choices and investigate the scientific role of ingredients in baked products. Students will develop interpersonal, time management and communication skills alongside building confidence with a range of cookery techniques to make nutritious meals.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Practical cookery skills - food safety, knife skills with a range of cookery techniques and methods.
- Teenage nutrition and food planning - create dietary plans for teenagers which meet nutritional guidelines.
- Interpersonal skills - collaborate in pairs and groups to develop effective communication skills while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Hauora - explore the different dimensions to understand the impact of food choices on well-being.
- Critical thinking - designing and creating food plans for specific dietary needs. Applying knowledge of the Hauora philosophy to inform positive food choices.
- Food packaging - students will learn how to read and understand food labels in order to make informed food choices, with a focus on fat, sugar and salt.
- Food science - investigate the science of baking by understanding the role that ingredients play.
Year 10, Foods and Hospitality
Exercise book, covered shoes for practical lessons.