Year 10 Food and Nutrition: Skills for Life
Teacher in Charge:
In Food and Nutrition- Skills for Life students will build on food safety, cookery skills and nutrition knowledge by applying information to set written and practical scenarios. The students will discover influences, similarities and differences between a variety of cuisines from around the world to plan, prepare and execute a class event by the end of the semester.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Practical cookery skills - food safety, knife skills with a range of cookery techniques and methods.
- Nutrition- key nutrients and how they are used by the body. Applying this information to make positive food choices to enhance Hauora.
- Interpersonal skills - collaborate in pairs and groups to develop effective communication skills while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Explore cultural influences on food. Where does food come from and why?
- Academic application- read, write, and research in order to demonstrate understanding of key nutrition, Hauora, recipes, cultural influences and event organisation.
- Event planning- use planning tools, recipe development and collaboration to execute an end of semester cultural themed event.
- Time management- Use time well to structure projects and practical events to achieve successful outcomes.
- Food safety- demonstrate knowledge by creating safe dishes.
Year 10, Foods and Hospitality
Exercise book, covered shoes for practical lessons.