Year 9 Toi Māori
Teacher in Charge:
In Year 9 Toi Māori, students will be introduced to the cultural significance of Māori art forms with Māori kaupapa, te reo, tikanga, and manaakitanga interwoven into the programme.
‘Kia whakatōmuri te haere ki mua’ to walk into the future our eyes must be fixed on the past.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Tikanga when working in a Toi Māori space and when using different taonga/materials. (Uku, harakeke)
- Elements of Māori Art and design from a mātauranga māori perspective (traditions).
- Develop an awareness of how their work reflects and transmit Māori ideas.
- How contemporary design expresses Māori ideas about the world.
- Identifying traditional and tribal designs used in whakairo (carving).
A4 Visual diary
Pencils (HB,2B,6B) black pilot pens.