Year 9 Food and Nutrition
Teacher in Charge:
Food and Nutrition encourages students to develop interpersonal, time management and communication skills alongside building confidence with practical cookery techniques. Students will explore key nutritional guidelines for teenagers and use critical thinking to describe how food/drink choices can impact their well-being using a hauora context.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Research skills - read and interpret key nutrient information for teenage nutrition, to discover the impact of food and drink choices.
- Nutritional guidelines for teenagers - explore the four food groups and essential nutrients for teenagers.
- Critical thinking skills - application of concepts of hauora in a nutrition context.
- Hauora/Wellbeing - look at the impact of food/drink choices and the consequence of this in a hauora context.
- Collaboration - working and communicating effectively with others in theory and practical lessons.
- Food packaging - reading and understanding food packaging so that students can make informed choices.
- Practical cookery skills - students will safely prepare a range of nutritious meals using a variety of techniques.
- Practical skill knowledge - food safety, knife skills and cookery techniques.
Year 9 classes have 2 practical classes per timetable cycle.
Year 9, Foods and Hospitality
BYOD, exercise book, covered shoes for practical lessons.