Year 11 Food and Nutrition - Nourishment for Life
Teacher in Charge: L. Valli
This course dives deeper into everyday nutrition to prepare students for a healthy lifestyle.
In this course students will learn about:
- how to meet their everyday nutritional needs
- understand different types of lifestyle nutrition (e.g. vegan, vegetarian, sports nutrition, diabetes)
- learn how to plan a healthy family meal within a budget
- discover the impact of convenience food on health and well-being
- learn about food poverty in NZ and carry out a community project to help others
- complete an inquiry research project on a nutrition topic of their choice
- develop lifelong practical skills including knife skills, cooking techniques and food safety
Students need to be able to handle a variety of foods, and the course is not suitable for students with severe food allergies.
Year 11 classes have 2 practical classes per timetable cycle.
Contributions and Equipment
All students need: pens, pencils, ruler, eraser, glue stick, highlighters, coloured pencils, scissors.
Specific requirements for this class are:
1 2B8 exercise book
Students have the option of bringing in additional or specialised ingredients
Fully covered shoes are compulsory for all practical classes.
Recommended Prior Learning
Dietitian, Nutritionist, Food Technology, Food Science, New product design, Food Engineering, Quality Assurance, Food Critic, Food Stylist, Cake Decorator, Product Promotion, Hospitality, Chef, Baker, Bar Manager, Bar Tender, Front of House, Caterer, Housekeeper, Cafe Manager, Hotel/ Motel Receptionist, Barista.,