Year 11 English - The Power of Language
Teacher in Charge:
In this English course students will explore the use of language in visual, spoken and written mediums. They will learn about media manipulation, propaganda, advertising, and the subliminal messages that they are bombarded with every day. By the end of this course, students will have honed their critical thinking skills, and will be equipped to understand the motivations behind the message and have produced their own speech using the techniques they have learned throughout the course.
In this course you will need to:
|Develop these skills:||Explore this content:|
- Employ critical information literacy to research a controversial topic.
- A variety of written texts - persuasive / propaganda / poetry / speech transcripts.
- Literature & film analysis - looking between and beyond what is seen on the surface.
- A variety of visual texts - including static images and television advertisements.
- Thinking about how and why language is used for a given purpose.
- Develop and deliver a speech.
- Identify and use a range of academic literary tools.
- Film terminology and ability to closely view visual texts.
- Make links and connections with society and the wider world around us.
Year 11, English
Exercise book or refill and folder to manage notes